Thursday, January 7, 2010

What are some good Christmas dessert recipes that my 3 1/2 year old can help me with?

I really want to start a tradition where we make some Christmas goodies as a family. My daughter is at that age now where she is quite interested in wanting to ';help'; me cook. Does anyone know of any good recipes we can do that she is actually helping, ';hands on';?What are some good Christmas dessert recipes that my 3 1/2 year old can help me with?
What about making a gingerbread house?What are some good Christmas dessert recipes that my 3 1/2 year old can help me with?
I just did this with my daughter of about same age. I made the gingerbread cookie dough after she went to sleep. Most recipes have said to chill at least an hour before rolling out anyways. That way I was able to get that part done myself and be sure things were properly measured and no ingredients were forgotten as well as clean up. The following day we were able to just take the dough out and start rolling and cutting decorating-the good part of the process that she was going to enjoy. It worked out well. And we both had fun. You coud do the same for doing a house and or gingerbread people.
I just made these for my son’s Christmas Cookie Exchange and they were a hit!





Christmas Thin Mints





Melt a bag of chocolate chips


2 tbsp vegetable oil


2 drops peppermint extract (or as minty as you want)


1 pkg (Graham crackers, townhouse crackers, nila wafers, anything of that nature)


Candy cane topping





Basically all you do is melt the chocolate chips in a pan. Add the oil and extract and stir it up. (Remove from heat) Then dip the cookie or cracker in chocolate until it’s covered. (Or you could do them halfway) We put them on wax paper, sprinkle candy cane topping on each while warm, then put them in the fridge or freezer to cool.





I have to be honest, the breaking, smashing and crushing of the candy canes wasn’t fun. And was very messy and loud. (We started at 11:30 pm and our little guy was asleep) So they sell those toppings in the cake section and there was a peppermint kind. But I have to say too that the candy cane topping just gave it “the look” it needed.





And BOY were they yummy! The chocolate isn’t hot, just warm. It’s a very messy project, but hey, we had fun licking the chocolate off our fingers and hands and face! :)
We bake sugar cookies and then make our own sprinkles. We get different flavors of hard candy and put them in a ziplock bag and they hit the bags with a sturdy mug. Then they bake the cookies and push the sprinkles into them while they warm. They also push chocolates (kisses) into them, too.





Pineapple cupcakes with whipped vanilla icing and sprinkles. They LOVE this. So super easy.





Get a box of white cake mix and a 16 oz can of crushed pineapples. Use ONLY those 2 ingredients. Mix them together and the mix becomes almost foamy and bubbly. Spoon it in the cupcake pan and bake according to directions of regular cupcakes on the back of the box. When it cools spread thick layers of icing on top and a few sprinkles or berries.
I've made brownies with my daughter since she was 3! There are a few tricks to making cooking kid-friendly. Look for no bake recipes, they're the fastest. Get all your tools and ingredients ready and measured before you call her to help. Make sure you read through all instructions too. Let her add the measured ingredients to the bowl and stir. Kids love putting sprinkles on top to make it their own.
When my kids were little they made the little gingerbread cookie ornaments for everyone and painted them. They loved it.


Also Rice Krispy treats are always a hit.


Chex mix?


Those peanut butter cookies that have the hershey kiss pressed in the center? She could do the kisses.





Any recipe really, you could fill the mixing cups and she can pour them in the bowls. Once you mix it a bit you could let her mix it a little too.
My about to be 3 year old is my cooking companion! He helps with everything... except frying. I sit him up on the counter and he adds whatever needs to be added to where ever it needs to be added, he also stirs and dumps really well. You 3 year old can help with just aboout any basic recipe you may use.
My 2 oldest sons (ages 3 and 22 months) love to help me with sugar cookies. I bake them, then when they are cool, we spread a little frosting on them and sprinkle them with different things like colored sugars and sprinkles. Another good idea is a gingerbread house.
Christmas cookie ...get those cut outs and put together the dough. She can press the cut outs into the cookies and then let her sprinkle once they are baked. She'll luv it!
christmas cookies..


buy the ones in your grocers freezer..
HOW ABOUT RICE KRISPIES TREATS WITH THE LITTLE RED AND GREEN M%26amp;M'S IN THEM? OR SUGAR COOKIES, FUDGE?

No comments:

Post a Comment